[Dovecot] . (dot) in maildir folder names

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sat May 25 01:46:35 EEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 01:19 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> That is pretty much standard IMAP mUTF-7. Wonder why that's not
> mentioned in there.
> But yeah, looks like it also suggests encoding the '.' and '/' using
> the mUTF-7 format. That is forbidden by IMAP. So having such names in
> the maildir and serving them to IMAP clients would actually violate
> the IMAP protocol.
I see... so what's the best / most standards compliant way of enabling
all possible folder names now? Using that plugin?

I mean I do not quite understand what happens when I use the plugin...
so as far as I understood you know IMAP itself already has an encoding
way... i.e. the client already sends mUTF-7 encoded foldernames to
dovecot, and dovecot simply passes this through and creates these as
file names, right?

When I use the list encode plugin... will it then \NN encode the
(possibly already mUTF-7 encoded) string... to also allow things like
So the client will never see any \NN encoding as this is done purely
dovecot internally?

Thanks,
Chris.