[Dovecot] . (dot) in maildir folder names

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sat May 25 03:18:31 EEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 02:33 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > And the virtual separator cannot be used, regardless what one does...
> > Is this just an IMAP issue or also a POP issue?
> >
> > And how are other unicode chars encoded in POP? I ask cause then I'd
> > update the wiki a bit.
>
> POP3 has no folders at all.
Ah sure... I didn't think clearly.... what I actually meant was... are
there similar issues when using folder with mbox as backend? I mean I
haven't tried it with Dovecot so far, but I guess it also uses the
folder.sbd/ schema? Does this also involve any special forbidden
characters?

I'm just making some tests... and everything seems to be as you
described (not that I didn't trust you ;) )...

One thing though...
I think when a character is used that is neither the (IMAP) virtual
separator (and therefore already forbidden as a folder character by this
- which a good client could check[0]) nor the listencode plugin is
enabled... then Dovecot should give an error when one tries to create a
folder that contains a character special to the underlying mail storage.

Example:
separator = /
listencode is disabled
maildir is used withOUT LAYOUT=fs

I create a folder named "foo.bar"
=> The client cannot know that "." causes troubles as it only knows
about "/".
Dovecot actually creates such a folder but it's the issue described
before by some person here, that you have a non working folder "foo" and
a subfolder "bar".

I think, Dovecot should bail out in such a folder creation, if that is
possible.
Especially as it seems one cannot get rid of such folders anymore...
Evolution e.g. still thinks there should be a folder "foo" and it leaves
it even when I deleted "bar".
And one could make perhaps even more evil things like creating folders
named "..." (and maildir get's crazy ;) )

I made some changes to the wiki,... guess you got notified anyway...
please double check them.

Cheers,
Chris

[0] To my big surprise.... evolution does... and e.g. allows "." if "/"
is used as separator :-O