[Dovecot] Problem with dsync replication : mails are not deleted correctly

Nicolas ROCHE nicolas.roche at fluid-e.com
Mon May 27 18:33:33 EEST 2013

On 27.5.2013, at 17.50, Nicolas ROCHE <nicolas.roche at fluid-e.com> wrote:

>> I have two linux serveurs (Oracle RHEL 5 86_64) and I install both sides dovecot (V2.2.2+), postfix (2.10.0) and mysql (Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.77).
>> I configured these servers in order to make them replicate, and I created some virtual users.
>> I use some java code in order to send mail (with SMTP) and to get mail (with POP3).
>> When the java code get a mail, it deletes it from mailbox (the flag "DELETED" is set to true).
>>
>> When I send a mail on server A, I can see the mail replicated on both servers A and B : a file containing the message data exists in /home/vmail/test03/new/ in both sides.
>
> The mail is delivered via LMTP?
> ==> I don't think so (but I don't know exactly what is LMTP).

How is Postfix configured to deliver the mail to Maildir? If it's not via Dovecot LDA or LMTP, that might be the cause of your problems.

I checked my config and I can say that I am using dovecot LDA :

In /etc/postfix/main.cf I use "virtual_transport = dovecot"
In /etc/postfix/master.cf I use :
dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f ${sender} -d ${user}

I confirm I do not use LMTP : I removed all LMTP instructions from my dovecot config and I still have the same symptoms when I delete a message...

Is postfix used when a mail is deleted ? Is not it only dovecot (and dsync utility) who is used to synchronise the mail deletion ?