[Dovecot] Perfect LDAP tree

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Tue May 28 17:06:30 EEST 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013, Evgeny Basov wrote:

> With LDAP tree like
>
> ou=mail
> |
> - dc=example1.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box1 at example1.com,dc=example1.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box2 at example1.com,dc=example1.com,ou=Mail
>> |
> - dc=example2.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box1 at example2.com,dc=example2.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box2 at example2.com,dc=example2.com,ou=Mail

Hmm, IMHO, the recommended use of dc= (by OpenLDAP) would be:

mail=box2 at example2.com,dc=example2,dc=com

maybe,

mail=box2 at example2.com,ou=mail,dc=example2,dc=com

> But my soul of perfectionist do not like this configuration because in
> every mailbox record duplicated information about domain:
>
> mail=box1 at example2.com and dc=example2.com

> I want to set next LDAP tree
>

> - dc=example2.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box1,dc=example2.com,ou=Mail
>  - mail=box2,dc=example2.com,ou=Mail

the LDAP mail attribute is to contain a mail address, not just a part of it.
Actually, your LDAP server should reject mail=box2.
You could use another attribute though.

> but I don't understand how to limit query to box1 at example1.com in
> dc=example1.com,ou=mail without using   base=dc=%d,ou=Clients,o=m  and
> how to get working iterate query for all boxes to get list
>
> box1 at example1.com
> box2 at example1.com
> box1 at example2.com
> box2 at example2.com
>
> in some command like doveadm quota recalc -A.
>
> Is it possible? How to take it?

In my opinion, you try make LDAP more complicate is it is designed as.

- --
Steffen Kaiser