[Dovecot] Doveadm with a 2nd Instance

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 2 14:32:18 EET 2013

On 26.9.2013, at 16.11, Chris Lasater <vorgusa at gmail.com> wrote:

> While testing some more I found out something else.  I have an alias set for doveadm so it was running with sudo and that ended up being part of the issue.  If doveadm is run as a regular user then the problem goes away
>
> [user at server ~]$ doveadm -i Director log find
> Debug: /home/user/apps/logs/director/director_debug.log
> Info: /home/user/apps/logs/director/director_info.log
> Warning: /home/user/apps/logs/director/director.log
> Error: /home/user/apps/logs/director/director.log
> Fatal: /home/user/apps/logs/director/director.log
>
> [user at server ~]$ sudo doveadm -i Director log find
> Debug: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot_debug.log
> Info: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot_info.log
> Warning: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log
> Error: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log
> Fatal: /home/user/apps/logs/dovecot.log
>
> Also if I run "sudo doveadm stop" to stop the main instance, I now have the ability to use the -i Director using sudo.  Unfortunately this makes it difficult to manage two instances.  Does anyone have an idea of getting this to work with sudo?

I don’t see why sudo should matter here. I can’t reproduce this, it always works no matter what I do. Do you have two different doveadm commands in different paths (sudo vs non-sudo path)? The way the -i parameter works is simply:

1. Look at the “instances” in the built-in configured STATE_DIR (doveconf -d state_dir)
2. Find the instance name from the file (2nd parameter) and the base_dir (3rd parameter)
3. Get the base_dir/dovecot.conf symlink’s destination path
4. Use that path as the config file