[Dovecot] Best way from Mbox to Maildir using 2.17?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Nov 4 11:29:14 EET 2013

On 04/11/2013 14:33, Regan Yelcich wrote:
> On 2/11/2013, at 11:40 pm, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2013 20:25, Regan Yelcich wrote:
>>> Can someone advise the best way to convert mailboxes from Mbox to
>>> Maildir for Dovecot 2.17 on Ubuntu? Thanks.
>>

>> mb2md.pl
>>
>> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/
>

> I don't need to do anything specific for Dovecot? It'll see the new
> Maildir account and automatically create the indexes etc?

IIRC it shows you how to use it, you need to indicate where the new
maildir is, if you have only a few, do them all manually, if you have
many, write a quick bash or perl script to do them, and dovecot will
create the indexes when they login.

You will need to tell dovecot to look for the new location though, if
your using system users as I suspect you are, then maildir:~/Maildir
should do it *but* dont forget to make sure your MTA knows to use
maildir as well, I've not worked with system users for a decade, but I
think in postfix   home_mailbox = Maildir/ will do it, with sendmail its
much more tricky and your best sticking with mbox, if exim, NFI - dont
use it :)