[Dovecot] Best way from Mbox to Maildir using 2.17?

Mark Moore mmoore at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 4 17:16:27 EET 2013

On 11/04/2013 02:29 AM, Noel Butler wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 14:33, Regan Yelcich wrote:

>>> mb2md.pl
>>>
>>> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

The program has at least 2 bugs in it:

. If the body has paragraph break (i.e., '\n') followed by the RFC822
   keyword 'From', the original message will loose the last half of
   the message and a phantom message will be created.

   Change from my notes:

	#           if ( /^From /
	#     -to-
	#           if ( /^From .*? \d\d:\d\d:\d\d \d\d\d\d/

. I never could figure out where the second bug was. This one created
   some messages with blank subject lines.

Another annoyance was prefixing the newly created mail folders with a '.'

Our site is small (300 users) with 15-20 years of e-mail history.
A conservative estimate of the conversion was something like 30 million
messages.

Did it work? Yes. I wish I had more time for testing, though. In the end,
we fixed the problems on the back side.

--

	Mark
	--0-
UCAR/NCAR/CGD					mmoore at ucar.edu
1850 Table Mesa Drive				(W) 303 497-1338
Boulder, CO 80305				(F) 303 497-1324