[Dovecot] Config problem: want SSL + local roundcube

Rich forums at artfulrobot.com
Tue Nov 5 17:54:07 EET 2013

Hi,

Have used dovecot for many years, happy that it worked well without me
needing to do anything much! But since the upgrade from v1 to v2.1.7-7
I've come across some config probs.

I want IMAP and to force TLS for all internet connections. However, I
run RoundCube on the same server (over https) and this needs access too,
but this doesn't need to be TLS because it's local anyway.

The auto-config update script made some changes, it added the following
to force SSL.

service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 0
   }
}

ssl = required

But this seems to forbid the local roundcube service from logging in.

Can anyone help me with my config? I had a stab, adding the following,
but it didn't work. Was a complete guess anyway!

remote 127.0.0.1 {
     ssl = no
     service imap-login {
       inet_listener imap {
         port = 143
       }
     }
}

Here's my full config:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.2 ext3
auth_default_realm = artfulrobot.com
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:/home/virtual/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = mail
passdb {
   args = username_format=%n /etc/exim4/virtual_domains/%d/passwords
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-client {
     group = Debian-exim
     mode = 0660
   }
   user = root
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 0
   }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/mail.artfulrobot.com-with-chain.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/mail.artfulrobot.com.key
userdb {
   args = uid=1001 gid=1001
   driver = static
}