[Dovecot] Question about folder sharing

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Fri Nov 8 04:02:34 EET 2013

Am 08.11.2013 02:50, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
> Hmm inheritance for Inbox subfolders is working now that i changed
> namespace inbox into namespace.
>
> However the prefix INDEX thing does not look nice for shared folders
> they appear as shaler/username/INBOX/[foldername]
>
> The docs mention:
>

>    ACL Inheritance
>
> Every time you create a new mailbox, it gets its ACLs from the parent
> mailbox. If you're creating a root-level mailbox, it uses the
> namespace's default ACLs. There is no actual inheritance, however: If
> you modify parent's ACLs, the child's ACLs stay the same. There is
> currently no support for ACL inheritance.
>
> Namespace's default ACLs are read from "dovecot-acl" file in the
> namespace's mail root directory (e.g. /var/public/Maildir). Note that
> currently these default ACLs are used only when creating new
> mailboxes, they aren't used for mailboxes without ACLs.
>
> What i do not understand where would i have to put an dovecot-acl for
> user default? My mail_home is /home/vmail/%u and mail root an
> subfolder mail inside. The dovecot-acl residing here is the one with
> the acl's for inbox and therefore only used for inboxe's subfolders.

Beside that i guess it would still not allow users to create folders via
thunderbird by right click on shared/[username] and selecting new
folder. Seems the only workaround is to create an separate folder share
him and set acls on that folder so the hierarchy would end up linke this

Inbox
Trash
shared/[username] (users inbox)
shared/[username]/folder (the helper folder with proper acl's)
shared/[username]/folder/[subfolders]

and if there are subfolders in the inbox

shared/[username]/INBOX/[subfolder]