[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Fri Nov 8 17:12:33 EET 2013

On 2013-11-08 9:33 AM, Robert Schetterer <rs at sys4.de> wrote:
> Hi Timo, lot of good ideas, but in my world a new/better imap client,
> cross plattform, with extended and working groupware feature would be
> more needed, as you wrote, there are allready good working smtp
> servers

I agree... would *love* to see you (Timo) work on a cross-platform IMAP
only (or at least IMAP optimized) mail client!

> But perhaps doing it like a "smtp proxy" would be more easy. I agree
> doing more sieve stuff. I am critical about new DNS stuff, cause this
> must be widly agreed by people.

Also exactly (smtp_proxy) what I was thinking...

Postfix, especially now that it has postscreen features, is going to be
extremely hard to beat, as far as security (especially in keeping the
spambots away) goes...

Maybe the very first version could be just a simple smtp_proxy, then
start adding features that can work pre-proxy, until eventually you get
to the point it could handle everything by itself - or maybe you'd find
that you could do everything you'd want to do in the pre-proxy features
and wouldn't have to worry about duplicating all of the features of the
mature MTAs out there...

And the first pre-proxy feature could be for handling mails with a local
destination - and I'm thinking specifically about my old feature request
for the 'submission_server' feature so that emails sent would
automatically have a copy added to the sent folder, so that clients
could disable the 'Copy to sent folder' feature and avoid the overhead
of uploading the email twice. Maybe even be able to detect somehow (not
sure if this is possible to be done reliably) if a client is configured
to save a copy to sent folder to prevent duplicates of sent messages -
and best would be to be able to detect this and refuse the copy with an
informative message to disable the Save to sent feature in the MUA...

> However i will think about your ideas in more detail, next days and
> mail it to the list.

Me too...

Thanks Timo!

--