[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 8 17:22:13 EET 2013

On 8.11.2013, at 16.15, Ron Leach <ronleach at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 08/11/2013 13:34, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Dovecot MTA isn’t intended to be run standalone, most likely it can only deliver mails to Dovecot LMTP.
>>
> May I clarify?  So Dovecot MTA might be for inbound SMTP only?  Or also for outbound SMTP? (From the feature list I'd assumed outbound, as well.)

Ah, I had actually been mostly just thinking about inbound SMTP features. It should of course support outbound SMTP as well, but I’m less familiar about what functionality would be useful for that.

By “not standalone” I meant mainly that it won’t duplicate any existing Dovecot functionality, like passdbs/userdbs/mail delivery.