[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.org
Fri Nov 8 20:35:02 EET 2013

On 11/08/2013 07:43 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2013-11-08 10:22 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Ah, I had actually been mostly just thinking about inbound SMTP
>> features.
>
> Hmmm.... well, I'd hate to see this turn into a huge time-sink for
> you. The fact is, postfix's maturity combined with its new postscreen
> capabilities will make it a very, very hard sell to postfix shops -
> especially the larger ones that rely heavily on postfix's ability to
> filter out the crap with as few resources as possible - and postscreen
> just increased that already powerful capability by at least one or two
> orders of magnitude.

Likewise, exim users aren't likely to be sold. Most of things originally
listed are either standard or easily accomplished in exim.

I would probably be pretty skeptical and uninterested in a Dovecot MTA.
No offense. I think you should look at other existing MTAs besides
postfix before concluding there is a hole that needs filling.

(You know the old Internet saying ... all programs evolve until they can
send email. I guess you are getting there. :-)