[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Nov 9 12:06:36 EET 2013

On 9.11.2013, at 5.11, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/9/13, Michael Kliewe <mkliewe at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Timo,
>>
>> I would also, like others, see you mainly working on Dovecot as an IMAP
>> server. As far as I can see there are many things on the roadmap, and I
>> hope many more will be added (for example a built-in health-checker for
>> director backends).
>>
>> Only if you have enough personal resources and Dovecot as an IMAP server
>> will not "loose your attention", I would love to see your expertise in
>> making a better MTA.
>
> Yes, some of us have been waiting for some years now, for a
> configurable change to alter the method of dovecots method of
> failover, which is just load balancing between servers rather than
> true failover, like postix, I see now why it gets no importance.

Ah, you’re talking about SQL connections. Had to look up from old mails what you were talking about. It hasn’t changed, because I think the current behavior with load balancing + failover is more useful than failover-only. And you can already do failover-only with an external load balancer. Sure, Dovecot could also implement it, but it’s not something I especially want to spend time on implementing.