[Dovecot] Question about folder sharing

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Sat Nov 9 13:20:53 EET 2013

Am 09.11.2013 11:48, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
> Am 08.11.2013 01:25, schrieb Achim Gottinger:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I run dovecot (2.1.7) on debian wheezy in conjuniction with postfix,
>> samba4 (as ldap backend) and sogo. I configured folder sharing but
>> have an few issues.
>> With my current config users can share the inbox and other folders.
>> If the acl allows creatings subfolders this does work for all folders
>> beside inbox.
>>
>> What i want to archiev is the following:
>>
>> If an user shares his inbox, others should be able to create
>> subfolders and those should inherit the inboxe's acl. All subfolders
>> of inbox should appear as folders at root level and not as subfolders
>> of the inbox.
>>
>> I thought this can be done by setting the prefix of namespace inbox
>> to INBOX/. I did this and changed the IMAP Server Folder setting in
>> thunderbird to INBOX (like it was earlier when i used courier). Now
>> subfolders created at rootlevel or as subfolders of the inbox appear
>> on rootlevel in thunderbird but they do not inherit the acl's from
>> inbox. Is there an way to achive this?
>>
>> doveconf -n
>>
>> mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%u/mail
>> namespace {
>>   list = children
>>   location =
>> maildir:/home/vmail/%%u/mail:INDEX=/home/vmail/%u/mail/shared/%%u
>>   prefix = shared/%%u/
>>   separator = /
>>   subscriptions = no
>>   type = shared
>> }
>> namespace inbox {
>>   inbox = yes
>>   location = maildir:/home/vmail/%u/mail
>>   prefix =
>>   separator = /
>>   type = private
>> }
>>
>> userdb {
>>   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf.ext
>>   driver = ldap
>> }
>> userdb {
>>   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-userdb-groups.conf.ext
>>   driver = ldap
>> }
> I changed the location of the inbox like this
> mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%u/mail:INBOX=
> /home/vmail/%u/mail/.Inbox
> namespace {
>   list = children
>   location =
> maildir:/home/vmail/%%u/mail:INDEX=/home/vmail/%u/mail/shared/%%u:INBOX=
> /home/vmail/%%u/mail/.Inbox
>   prefix = shared/%%u/
>   separator = /
>   subscriptions = no
>   type = shared
> }
> namespace inbox {
>   inbox = yes
>   location = maildir:/home/vmail/%u/mail:INBOX=
> /home/vmail/%u/mail/.Inbox
>   prefix =
>   separator = /
>   type = private
> [...]
Changed .Inbox to .INBOX now there is only one folder named INBOX
visible. The ACL's from /home/vmail/%u/mail are used for all subfolders
under ../mail no matter if they have an dovecot-acl file inside or not.
Can not find this documented, it's useful in my case but is it supposed
to work like that? Nice thing is i can create root-level folders for
users with an mail_location configured like that in the shared subsections.