[Dovecot] Dovecot MTA

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sun Nov 10 22:13:27 EET 2013

On 11/10/2013 02:20 PM, Larry Stone wrote:
> Timo said in his reply that he doesn't know how to improve the current documentation. I'll take him at his word. I submit that it really needs a total rewrite, not continued editing. And before someone suggests if I believe it needs to be rewritten, I should offer to do it myself, I will just say that I don't know anywhere near enough about Dovecot to do that. I use a very small subset of Dovecot's capability (I started with it as a drop-in replacement for UW-IMAP; other than Dovecot's authentication module, if UW-IMAP didn't do it, then I don't use that feature in Dovecot) and have no experience with the Dovecot LDA.

I also don't think I know enough about Dovecot to take it upon myself to
document it in its entirety but I know I could help with the topics I do
know.
In general, I think the wiki can use more "prose" pages that would kind
of introduce newcomers to some concepts. Currently many pages seem to
get right down to the details, assuming the reader must already know
what this is about otherwise why would he be here.
And on the other hand, some pages are IMHO actually too terse and should
be more detailed.
So, my vote is the wiki could improve but there should be some agreement
on what form it should take.