[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.9 Quota Limit issues

David Johnson david.johnson at marshallelectronics.net
Thu Nov 14 00:46:00 EET 2013

On 11/13/2013 2:30 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 10:00 -0800, David Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've tried searching for information regarding this problem but haven't
>> found anything.
>>
>> Currently I have a Dovecot 2.0.9 with virtual users from a SQL table.
>> Right now I'm only using global quota limits.  Here is my quota setup:
>>

> 2.0.9 is ancient and unsupported, but if it aint broke, who cares,
> so....
>

>> plugin {
>>     quota = maildir:User quota
>>     quota_rule = *:storage=3G
>>     quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
>>     quota_rule3 = Archive:storage=+1G
>>     quota_rule4 = Archive/2013:storage=+1G
>>     quota_rule5 = Junk:ignore
>
> Have you tried commenting out the Archive/2013 rule?  This might be the
> conflict,  its like saying  OS / = 1G but  /home can have 3, kinda of
> doesnt work :)
> the rest looks ok to me

Yes, I have.  In fact I started with it like that, but it doesn't seem
to affect subfolders.  I tested this with having just the rule:
         quota_rule3 = Archive:ignored
Afterwards I recalculated the maildirsize and the size didn't decrease.
The user in question had nothing in "Archive" but insead had it all in a
subfolder of Archive called 2013(standard formatting across all users).
There was about 1.5G in the 2013 folder.  So from that testing it seemed
as though it wasn't affecting subfolders.  Is it supposed to?  I
couldn't find information on this one way or the other, so I had figured
it only worked on the folder I specified.

One thing I've noticed is that the user's email folder structure is like so:
Maildir
     .Folder
     .Folder.Subfolder

The Maildir folder is the inbox, and contains all emails within that.
All other folders, while not displayed via imap as subfolders of inbox
are in fact folders inside the Maildir filestructure wise. Could this be
causing the Archive folders to count towards the Inbox folder even
though they are supposed to be separate?

Similarly this would also explain why subfolders aren't counted toward
their parent, since in the filestructure they are all under inbox
instead of inside their parent folder.  This seems counter to how any
help file I've found on these various sytems describes it though.

Anything else I can check?

--
David J.