[Dovecot] Dovecot login slow

Benny Pedersen me at junc.eu
Thu Nov 14 02:00:51 EET 2013

Marc Perkel skrev den 2013-11-14 00:17:
> More information ....
>
> When i telnet to localhost on 143 it takes 10-15 seconds to log in.
>
> but ....
>
> When I telnet to the host name of the server it logs in instantly.
>
> Why would it be slow on localhost by fast on the server's IP address?

make localdomain dns works

check /etc/hosts

# incorrect example
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain

# correct example
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

note there is also local tld depending on how centos payed attention :(

and add ip / hostnames for dns entries that is not known on boot when
named is not yet ready to serve, but still is static under control of
you

80.162.68.54 duggi.junc.org duggi
more lines if you need one more :)

imho this is the problem is you have dns issues that timeout, nothing
beats localhost on dns, so if its not on localhost you know why it takes
time

remember the same for ipv6 btw

and drop port 143 and change to port 993 if you are pro :=)