[Dovecot] Deleted messages reappearing

Joseba Torre joseba.torre at ehu.es
Thu Nov 14 11:05:32 EET 2013

El 13/11/13 16:53, Oscar del Rio escribió:
> On 11/13/13 10:05 AM, Joseba Torre wrote:
>>> You should post more details, such as what kind of storage you are
>>> using (NFS?) and your dovecot configuration.
>> Yes, I'm using NFS, but this exact configuration has been working for a
>> long time and I've never seen this error previously. That's why I think
>> it's related to the upgrade.
>
> Sometimes configuration problems only reveal themselves after upgrades
> to the software or the OS.
>
>> Anyway, here is my conf
>>
>> # 2.2.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> # OS: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>> Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
>> auth_cache_negative_ttl = 5 mins
>> auth_cache_size = 10 M
>> auth_master_user_separator = *
>> default_client_limit = 4000
>> default_process_limit = 500
>> first_valid_uid = 200
>> lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
>> lock_method = dotlock
>> login_trusted_networks = ip1,ip2
>> mail_plugins = quota
>> managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
>> managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
>> encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
>> relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
>> environment mailbox date ihave imapflags
>>

> No mail_location or index defined? (or you trimmed the post?)

No, this machine is the server from some users in my department but also
the testing machine, and most users are using maildir while I use mdbox.
After some tests, I found out that dovecot autodiscovery was the easiest
solution for this.

> Don't you need "mmap_disable = yes" with NFS?
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/NFS

No, if only 1 server is accesing a given user mailbox, you don't need
that (and this is my case because I'm using director)

> I had similar errors when deploying dovecot for the first time and
> didn't use the correct NFS settings listed in the above page.

Forget this. Some days ago I changed de passdb query to allow users to
connect using both the full mail address and the old identifier (which
is not related to de mail address). But in my case, if I connect using
my e-mail address director sends me to one server, and with my old id
(that is being used by lmtp) to the other one. So I have 2 different
server accessing 1 mailbox, and the problems are normal.

By now, I'll go back to only accept the old id.

Is there any way to tell director that old_id and joseba.torre at ehu.es
are the same user (and should be directed to the same server)?

My current conf for my directors is attached

# 2.2.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Server release 6.4 (Santiago)
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_verbose = yes
director_mail_servers = server1 server2
director_servers = director1 director2
director_username_hash = %n
doveadm_port = 4444
lmtp_proxy = yes
mail_debug = yes
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = proxy=y nopassword=y starttls=any-cert
   driver = static
}
plugin {
   sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     user = dovecot
   }
}
service director {
   fifo_listener login/proxy-notify {
     mode = 0666
   }
   inet_listener {
     port = 3333
   }
   unix_listener director-userdb {
     mode = 0600
   }
   unix_listener login/director {
     mode = 0666
   }
}
service doveadm {
   inet_listener {
     port = 4444
   }
}
service imap-login {
   executable = imap-login director
}
service lmtp {
   inet_listener ltmp {
     address = director1 127.0.0.1
     port = 24
   }
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
}
service managesieve-login {
   executable = managesieve-login director
   vsz_limit = 128 M
}
service pop3-login {
   executable = pop3-login director
}
ssl_cert = < certificado_ordenado_2013.crt
ssl_key = < privatekey_2013.pem
syslog_facility = local1
userdb {
   args = allow_allusers=yes
   driver = static
}
userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
   driver = ldap
}
protocol lmtp {
   auth_socket_path = director-userdb