[Dovecot] Calling dovecot-lda from maildrop/shell

Mon Nov 18 13:08:37 EET 2013

Hello,

I want to make final delivery for some of my mailboxes using
dovecot-lda, since I'm interested in using sieve. My usual MDA which is
called from postfix is and will be maildrop.

First try was to call dovecot-lda from command line:

/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d spam at xgm.de < testmail

which gave return code 75 (EX_TEMPFAIL) and logged:

dovecot: auth-worker(3533): mysql(localhost): Connected to database
system
dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<spam at xgm.de>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1,
lip=::1, mpid=3535, secured, session=<jwXWP3HrwgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
dovecot: imap(spam at xgm.de): Disconnected: Logged out in=91 out=830
dovecot: lda(spam at xgm.de): Error: user spam at xgm.de: Initialization
failed: Namespace '': Mail storage autodetection failed with
home=/home/flindner/Mail/spam
dovecot: lda(spam at xgm.de): Fatal: Invalid user settings. Refer to server
log for more information.

My userdb/password is like that home == maildir ==
/home/flindner/Mail/spam  (without prefixed "maildir:"). It works fine
for dovecot-imap, it detects that spam is a maildir.

I've also tried prefixing home and or maildir with "maildir:" or
calling: HOME=maildir:~/Mail/spam /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda <
testmail which gave:

dovecot: lda: Error: user flindner: Relative home directory paths not
supported: maildir:/home/flindner/Mail/spam
dovecot: lda: Fatal: Invalid user settings. Refer to server log for more
information.

What is the problem with the LDA here?

Thanks,
Florian