[Dovecot] Pigeonhole make check fails with Dovecot 2.2.8

Andreas Schulze andreas.schulze at datev.de
Fri Nov 22 15:12:04 EET 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 02:40:22PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > When compiling dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2 at the stage "make check"
> > Pigeonhole is throwing the following message and stops:
>
> Interestingly caused by the improved caching code. Fixed by http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/f4eb4b5884b2

Hi all,

no make it more difficult I have this story:

I run a autoresponder at echo at signing-milter.org. Messages to this address are
answered by sieve vacation. Messages generated by sieve are sent via smtp

# doveconf submission_host
submission_host = signing-milter.org:587

There my signing-milter take the plain message and apply an s/mime signature.
That worked for years until I upgrades the host (spring 2013). Starting that time
the signatures are invalid. I focused my bug search on /my software/
and the new openssl version (0.9.8 -> 1.0.1e)

Looks like that was wrong.
Yesterday I installed stock dovecot-2.2.8 and dovecot-2.2-pigeonhole-0.4.2. The signatures are valid again!

But then I found, I build dovecot + pigeonhole without "make check".
I did not noticed any "make check" failures till yesterday.
I applied all 5 patches mentioned in http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-November/093654.html
and build dovecot + pigeonhole again. Now also "make check" did not fail.

But the s/mime signatures are invalid again :-(

Conclusion:
the patch dial with whitespaces. Signatures are very sensitive indiators for
any change in a message. I could imagine, that the messages generated by sieve vacation are
unexpected/invalid at some whitespaces. This invalid whitespace may be s/mime signed but modified a moment later by
postfix? On the other side I apply also  dkim signatures just after the s/mime signature was generated.
These dkim signatures are valid all the time.

Unfortunately I have no idea if that help neither how to debug this...

Andreas

--
Andreas Schulze
Internetdienste | P252

DATEV eG
90329 Nürnberg | Telefon +49 911 319-0 | Telefax +49 911 319-3196
E-Mail info @datev.de | Internet www.datev.de
Sitz: 90429 Nürnberg, Paumgartnerstr. 6-14 | Registergericht Nürnberg, GenReg Nr.70
Vorstand
Prof. Dieter Kempf (Vorsitzender)
Dipl.-Kfm. Wolfgang Stegmann (stellvertretender Vorsitzender)
Dipl.-Kfm. Michael Leistenschneider
Dipl.-Kfm. Dr. Robert Mayr
Jörg Rabe v. Pappenheim
Dipl.-Vw. Eckhard Schwarzer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Reinhard Verholen