[Dovecot] Zlib plugin - when does it make sense?

Everton Foscarini everton.foscarini at ufrgs.br
Mon Nov 25 15:12:41 EET 2013

I have a relatively big installation here in the university, 1 mail
server for 10.000 daily active accounts.

I converted from maildir to mdbox + zlib in march, and these are my
considerations:

1. CPU is not a problem, even delivering more than 400 messages per
minute (blade HS21 with 2xQuad E5430 from 2008)
2. I used dsync to convert from maildir to mdbox, with dovecot 2.1 at
the time.

The biggest win is the file number reduction, from 27 million to 2 million.