[Dovecot] Permissions problems

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 11:24:27 EET 2013

> That's a filesystem problem.

I figured as much.

> The users do have distinct home directories (from passwd) separated from
the mail location?

Yeah, in this case /home/mark is the home folder.  If necessary I can
remove the mail_location directive and test using the users home dir and
see if that fails (also on ZFS but in the root storage pool).

> is it possible that two Dovecot instances
> try to access the same storage ? Or is
> there some hardening (SELinux/
> AppArmor) in action?

The dovecot mail system is running on OpenSolaris (OpenIndiana to be
precise) and uses Solaris's Service Management (smf) to stop and start. I
am relatively sure SMF won't let 2 instances run at once.

> Or are there some special ACLs in ZFS that
> prevent that rename() operation on file
> system level? Does the user mark has the > permission at all?

Not certain. I don't think so and I certainly didn't enable anything along
those lines but this is my first deployment on Solaris so I'm a little out
of my depth. I'm used to Debian Linux.

--

Mark