[Dovecot] Enabling quota

Andreas Kasenides andreas at cymail.eu
Wed Nov 27 19:14:47 EET 2013

On 27-11-2013 18:59, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, Andreas Kasenides wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this has been answered before, I just could not find any
>> info. Just point me if that is so.
>>
>> Can somebody please explain why there is no option --with-quota (ot
>> may be --with-fs-quota)
>> for the configure command?
>>
>> As it stands now, at least for the fs back-end the only thing that
>> tells us that
>> Dovecot does not do quotas is after the build/configuration we get
>>
>> dovecot: imap(xxdxx): Error: quotactl(Q_GETQUOTA,
>> csfsxxx.cs.ucy.ac.cy:/mail) failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> which essentially means that during the build no quota development
>> libraries were found
>> and therefore fs quota will not function. This is rather confusing and
>> the above error does not help much.
>> Note also that "dovecot --build-options" is also silent on this.
>> I suppose other back-ends do not have this requirement since there is
>> no need for such devel libraries.
>
> in which development library your system needs? I thought that error
> message means, that the file "csfsxxx.cs.ucy.ac.cy:/mail" does not
> exist
> (or that there is no quota there).
>
> - -- Steffen Kaiser

Exactly here is the confusion.
I have verified that this error is not related to the actual mount but
the way Dovecot has been built. Actually the existence of the
development libraries. In my case on a CentOS system it needs to find
the quota-devel libraries which it finds and silently builds quota
support for the fs back-end. Note that nothing afterwards tells you that
that has happened!! I think!!!

Andreas