[Dovecot] Dovecot's brittle configuration syntax

Kai Hendry hendry at dabase.com
Fri Nov 29 05:07:23 EET 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 05:20:38PM -0800, Joseph Tam wrote:
> the horse), but that doesn't make it less complex -- it just hides it.
> (See doveconf -a if you want to see what you're shorthanding).

I'm all for hiding complexity. Though `doveconf -a` is interesting to
see what I'm up against. Thanks for that

> If you want minimal configuration fuss, you can try uw-imapd.  Not a
> lot of knobs to twist on that thing, but you'll have to accept all its
> limitations as well.

Thanks for the interesting link. I did find PANDA-IMAP via Wikipedia.
https://github.com/jonabbey/panda-imap

I don't think PANDA-IMAP can do Maildir, thread references or meet my
goals really.  http://dabase.com/blog/Minimal_Dovecot/

> The sample configuration is verbose because it doubles as documentation:
> you can use it as a starting point and remove the parts you don't need,
> or start from the documentation and move forward.  I agree, though,
> that the documentation needs an editorial overhaul -- it's a little
> bewildering to find what you need along with the contextual information.

I want to use Dovecot, though I do want to see this overhaul. I have
already spent hours trying to get a sane email setup.

I wouldn't mind editing the wiki if I had permission to so and ideally
via a git backend. http://ikiwiki.info/ or without the Web interface
http://laktek.github.io/punch/ is good. Or even my low tech wiki
https://github.com/kaihendry/wordsister

> It appears to me to have grown organically, and maybe will need pruning
> some day.

I hope it's fixed. Is there a bug tracker btw?

I just see this proposal here:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-January/018786.html

I want to see Dovecot hopefully fit my humble use cases. :-)