[Dovecot] State of the FTS modules and packaging

Benjamin Podszun dar at darklajid.de
Sun Oct 6 20:52:55 EEST 2013

Hi there.

I'm running a small (VPS) mail system just for myself for quite a while and
want to support some friends and family now. For that I'm improving /
documenting the setup.

One thing I never cared to implement was FTS support. Looking at the
options [1] now, I'm stuck. I don't want solr (no Java bashing here, I'm
sure that's working awesome. But I don't want to pull all these
dependencies in on my tiny VPS: Memory and disk will be as small as I can
get away with).

With that out of the way: What are my options?

Squat: Why's squat deprecated? Did it stop working? Can someone shed some
light on the original reasons for the deprecation? What are the risks to go
with squat anyway?

Clucene: That seems .. unusable. It would be my prefered choice (not
deprecated, little dependencies), but .. it isn't packaged in deb based
distributions (Debian, Ubuntu). It doesn't even _build_, because it doesn't
use pkg-config to find the clucene includes (at least for 2.1.17) in these
environments.

Centos is even more out of date with 2.0.9.

Given the experience above, is solr my only option to offer FTS? Can you
guys share how you're having a stable base/os with a somewhat recent (and
complete!) dovecot package?

Thanks a lot & regards,
Ben

1: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS