[Dovecot] Maildir and home location

Thu Oct 10 23:15:25 EEST 2013

Hello!

My current mail setup looks like that:

MTA is postfix, MDA is maildrop. Each system user configures mail delivery using
the .mailfilter of maildrop to arbitrary maildirs in his home. For each maildir
a POP3/IMAP account can be configured, currently I use courier-imap/-pop and
think about replacing it by dovecot.

AFAIK with dovecot each account has a home and maildir assigned which should
not be equal neither should a home dir be used for mulitple accounts.

My problem is where to put these homedirs? System users have full SSH access
on the machine. I would really prefer to put them somewhere where the users
could delete them (if they need to reset or delete their account). Optimal
would be in the maildir itself, but...

What are your suggestions?

Regards,
Florian