[Dovecot] Analyzing and correlating Dovecot with Postfix logs

Igor David igord at bra.in.rs
Mon Oct 14 22:57:19 EEST 2013

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows what are best practices for correlating
logs between Postfix and Dovecot ?

I am having setup with postfix + amavisd + spamassassin + dovecot and
everything looks like a charm for few years now.

However, when e-mail arrives to my system, postfix is sending it to
amavisd on port 10024, which is returning back to postfix on 10025, and
postfix is then delivering e-mail to Dovecot (which is acting as LDA),
so I can find e-mail header via message-ID easily in Postfix logs.

But after that I cannot find e-mail in my Dovecot Maildir list as a
filename, as Dovecot is having it's own way of storing e-mails in
Maildir format, and I can't see that messageID in directory.

I can grep all e-mails which can take some time, so I was wondering if
there is more appropriate work around or setup Postfix/Dovecot, e.g. to
modify somehow dovecot Maildir naming convention or similar?

I was trying to find answer around but could not so any help is
appreciated!

Versions:

Dovecot: 2.1.13
Amavisd: amavisd-new-2.6.6