[Dovecot] Strange output from LIST command

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Oct 17 01:12:00 EEST 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 5:45 PM, azurIt wrote:

>> Od: Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net>
>> Komu: azurIt <azurit at pobox.sk>
>> Dátum: 16.10.2013 23:20
>> Predmet: Re: [Dovecot] Strange output from LIST command
>>
>> I just did a move from Courier to Dovecot 2.2, and also followed the namespace suggestions in the wiki.
>>
>> I've not had any issues, but if you want to drop me a note showing the IMAP commands and results you get for LIST, I'll compare locally and let you know if I see anything different…
>>
>> Charles
>> --
>> Charles Sprickman
>> NetEng/SysAdmin
>> Bway.net - New York's Best Internet www.bway.net
>> spork at bway.net - 212.655.9344
>>

> Thank you. I tried to upgrade to 2.1.17 just to see if it helps - it didn't. Looks like an unfixed bug in 2.1.. I will see tomorrow if i can rebuild Debian experimental packages so i can try version 2.2.

If it helps, here's a simple session:

Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready - bway.net.
. login xx xx
. OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE BINARY MOVE NOTIFY QUOTA] Logged in
. namespace
* NAMESPACE (("INBOX." ".")) NIL NIL
. OK Namespace completed.
. list "" "INBOX.%"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.old
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." INBOX.test
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." INBOX.sent-mail
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX.sent-mail-aug-2007
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." INBOX.saved-messages
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." INBOX.Virus
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Trash) "." INBOX.Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Junk) "." INBOX.Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \Sent) "." INBOX.Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Drafts) "." INBOX.Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." "INBOX.Another odd one, 2"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "." "INBOX.A fuuny folder!"
. OK List completed.
. logout
* BYE Logging out
. OK Logout completed.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Namespace config:

namespace inbox {
# per http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier
  prefix = INBOX.
  separator = .
  type = private
  inbox = yes
  hidden = no
  list = yes
  subscriptions = yes
}

One issue I ran into with the courier-compatible namespaces is that in my quota plugin rules, I had to explicitly state the full path to the "special" mailboxes when applying quota rules to them:

(in 90-quota.conf)

plugin {
  quota_rule = Inbox.Trash:storage=+100M
  quota_rule2 = Inbox.Spam:storage=+100M