[Dovecot] Upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 on Debian

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Mon Oct 21 00:46:57 EEST 2013

On 10/20/2013 05:39 PM, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Lucas Rothamel - Eye Catching Webdesign <info at eye-catching-webdesign.de> wrote:
>
>> I am currently running Dovecot 2.1 on current Debian and need to upgrade
>> to 2.2 to use the replication features.
>> I understand that I therefore need to compile Dovecot myself.
> No. Just use the excellent packages from http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/
> See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PrebuiltBinaries for more information.
>
> It says "Don't use them in production" on the label of the repository,
> but if you set the installed packages on hold via dpkg/apt-get so you
> don't get suprised by sudden updates, this repository is safe to use.
>
> Grüße,
> Sven.

I agree in principle, specifically if you just look at the last commits
at http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/ so you know what your latest
binaries contain, and it seems to make sense, then you can put the
packages on hold, and test them given your particular configuration and
demands. if it works, then .. it works.

If you want the proper debian way, just take the 2.2 package from
debian's experiemental suite , refresh it to 2.2.6 and compile it. It's
not all that hard to do.