[Dovecot] Mailboxes separated from IMAP server

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Oct 21 22:51:27 EEST 2013

Am 21.10.2013 21:30, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 21.10.2013 21:23, schrieb Reymer Antonio Vargas Solano:
>> At my university we are trying to implement a distributed email
>> backend, but I have some troubles,
>>
>> The topology:
>>
>> Server A: Postfix+LMTP # MTA Server B: Dovecot+LMTP # Just
>> mailboxes Server C: Dovecot # POP3/IMAP
>>
>> Right now the Server A can leave a received email to the Server
>> B, but I don't know how to communicate Server C to the Server B
>> to retrieve the emails.
>>
>> I think that we should use IMAP protocol, but I am confused about
>> how to connect them, I don't know if we have to use a proxy IMAP
>> server, or another thing.
>>
>> Can anyone give me  an idea?

some more ideas , but based on another server setup/layout
use loadbalancer to serveral mailservers ( postfix/dovecot/amavis )
with shared storage ( gfs, nfs, ocfs2 , ceph ,drbd ) etc , shared
ldap, sql auth backends etc

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/06/10/loadbalancing-mit-keepalived-postfix-dovecot/

http://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/06/06/postfix-dovecot-ceph-cluster-storage/

sorry only german

or

http://www.kutukupret.com/2011/06/19/postfix-realtime-maildir-replication-using-dual-primary-drbd-with-ocfs2/

there are a lot of chances how to solve it, deeply depends how many
mailboxes inkl quota you want to goal, and how much traffic is
awaited, and at the end what is your budget target.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer