[Dovecot] Dovecot proxy hooks

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 26 18:39:56 EEST 2013

On 14.10.2013, at 21.22, dac at getodata.ro wrote:

> I am interested in the possibility of using Dovecot IMAP/POP proxying capabilities to analyze emails that are passing through and possibly modify content on the fly. This subject has been discussed here [1] before.
> I have tried the mail-filter plugin [2], but the hooks it uses are only called in a non-proxy setup.
>
> Is there a practical way of doing this, or plans to add such a feature?
>
> Links:
> [1]: http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-February/011704.html
> [2]: http://www.dovecot.org/patches/2.2/mail-filter.tar.gz

You can’t use the simple proxying feature for this. If you modify the mail content, it would require modifying quite a lot of different command outputs and there’s no way a proxy could do it without more or less reimplementing half of the IMAP server functionality. But what you could do is to use the imapc backend and the mail-filter.