[Dovecot] Which MTA for a personal-use dovecot instance?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sun Oct 27 20:26:17 EET 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 18.10.2013 20:03, schrieb Dan Langille:
>> I'm planning to deploy a personal dovecot IMAP server (i.e. I am the only user) in a FreeBSD jail.
>>
>> At present, I have IMAP deployed on the same host as one of my mail servers, which is running Postfix. I do like
>> Postfix, but it seems to be a bit overkill for this particular situation
>
> where can postfix be a overhead?

I have no idea. This is why I was asking.

> for simple setups you only a few lines of configuration and all others
> as default - hard to find any software more easy to configure with
> the backward compatibility postfix offers since many years

I've been using Postfix for several years and don't use anything else for incoming email. For situations where
there is only outgoing email, I've started to use nullmailer to relay the mail to a smart host (running postfix).

For what it's worth, the jail mentioned above is now running Postfix and dovecot, along with 24 other supporting packages.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org