[Dovecot] Blocking certain hostnames/clients

Robin dovecot at r.paypc.com
Mon Oct 28 14:40:16 EET 2013

On 10/27/2013 1:21 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:

> Bottom line desire is to avoid scraping/hijacking email stored on my
> dovecot server by any client other than a users client.

I don't think IMAP has a "client identification" component in its
protocol, at least one that's in widespread and "compatible" use.  So
you're stuck with IP/hostname-based ACLs or perhaps something more
"forensic" that does analysis of how those clients access mail and
tailor a countermeasure accordingly.

Of course, blackholing all of the offending IP#s is an option, but I
suspect it will be a bit "whack-a-mole".

=R=