[Dovecot] When imapc can't connect to remote IMAP prevents user login (and blocks LDA)

Marcin Mirosław marcin at mejor.pl
Mon Oct 28 18:08:14 EET 2013

W dniu 18.12.2012 23:10, Timo Sirainen pisze:

>>> You're using Dovecot as simple imapc proxy without local mails? Then
>>> yeah, what else could it really do?
>>
>> Here is problem, I'm using local mails also!:) So when remote imap
>> server doesn't want to talk with me I can't even check mail emails.
>> I can understand this behavior (e.g. lda can't deliver email because
>> sieve script could put such email in folder available via imapc) but it
>> looks like a kind of DoS for my mailbox;) Maybe some kind of switch
>> could be implemented: treat imapc errors as critical or not? Just an idea.
>
> I saw only one namespace in your configuration. Are you adding the imapc namespace somewhere else, or how exactly does your system work? Anyway, if you have a separate imapc namespace, I think you can simply set:
>
> namespace .. {
>   ignore_on_failure = yes
> }

Hi again!
I'm answering in this old thread because I found another case when
"ignore_on_failure = yes" doesn't help. When remote IMAP server is
shuted down or is firewalled, in log appears "
2013-10-26T14:27:04.380859+02:00 meteor dovecot: imap(marcin at mejor.pl)
<bkQcQY7p5QBTkHPS>: Error: imapc(imap.wp.pl:993):
connect(212.77.101.140, 993) timed out after
30 seconds
"

In this case LDA doesn't deliver emails not I can't login using IMAP client.
Is it possible to do something with such case?

P.S. Now I'm using dovecot-2.2.6.

Marcin