[Dovecot] Encryption solution for messages at rest

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 30 12:46:41 EET 2013

I think your problem can be more generically restated as:

- Untrusted users have access to the mailstore, eg employees who
maintain the server, attackers who break into the system as untrusted
user accounts
- There is some trusted process to get access to decryption keys and
largely this process is secure (obviously except attacks which succeed
to escalate to root, or if employees typically get root access)
- How to extend this secure key access process to dovecot

So Exchange offers this feature where you can encrypt the mail and grant
specific users access to decrypt subsets of the mail. This means that
employees managing the mail server may not have access to decrypt the
messages for their boss, etc (without at least using trickery to bypass
and escalate their privileges - of course this is always possible,
especially with physical access, but it reduces the attack surface)

Off the top of my head it seems like any attempts to do this using block
disk encryption layers substantially boil down to equivalent to standard
file permissions. eg adding ecryptfs on the mail store means you need to
prevent access to the mounted decrypted files, which given the mail
store is a long running process, is largely equivalent to just using
file permissions, MAC, grsec, etc to protect the dir?

Timo's suggestion to incorporate in Dovecot opens up possible solutions.
ie now files can be decrypted *as* they are required by the mail server.
decryption key can probably be stored in userdb without loss of privacy
(since if you can get the password for the account you can just pickup
the emails via imap?). Bonus marks if you design some encrypted key
store, but is seems challenging to add value here, possibly against more
specific attacks, eg you don't want your database DBA to be able to get
access to the decryption keys, hence a separate (simple) database just
for decryption keys moves the problem sideways.

Using Timo's filter this all seems very do-able, but performance will
obviously be impacted. Modern processers are very fast at certain types
of encryption opts though..?

I'm interested to see what you produce.  Seems interesting, but as many
have already commented, it really only defends against a limited attack
surface and not at all if the dovecot process or root/dovecot user is
compromised.  I think corporates would quite like this feature though

Ed W