[Dovecot] OT: z-Push

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Wed Sep 4 20:20:10 EEST 2013

Am 04.09.2013 16:12, schrieb LuKreme:
> On 19 Sep 2012, at 13:48 , Christian Rößner <c at roessner-network-solutions.com> wrote:
>> unfortunately z-Push is much too buggy here. So I dropped it in favor of standard IMAP.
>
> I don't understand this statement (and yes, I know this was last year).
>
> z-Push is, as I understand it, a tool that runs on top of 'standard IMAP' and not something that you would replace with standard IMAP.

its a free php solution for active sync mail, backend is imap
you may try new horde webmail with "more complete" active sync solution
( this means it basicly http(s) hosted ) also give you addressbook,
calendar etc "with active sync compatible clients" like outlook 2013 etc

> And standard IMAP doesn't (or at least not on any mobile phones I've seen) push notifications for any folders, though most mobile MUAs will poll INBOX and notify you about those messages.

"push mail" is more some "buzz wording" then an exact tec description,
for "pure mail", imap clients like android k9 act "push mail", with imap
idle just like the android mail client in exchange mode ( active sync )
for "normal" users

if you want only mail/imap i.e k9 mail imap seems to me the better tec
solution

the "push mail" imap stuff for mobiles is "overnamed" with "imap
lemonade extensions" , some of them are on the road for dovecot or
implemented ( lots of rfcs ), at my last review, but however it may last
some time lemonade clients will get out

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--