[Dovecot] stopping dictionary attacks (pop3)

other at ahhyes.net other at ahhyes.net
Thu Sep 5 02:57:16 EEST 2013

Hi Noel,

Thank you for the hint. I've added what you suggested to the fail2ban
action.

I've had to resort to firewalling off the pop3 port to my ISP subnets
and any subnets of ISP's
I use when I am on the go.

This will work for me since it's a personal server with only a few
external users.
Operators of shared hosting servers certainly wont have that luxury.

I had no choice but to do this. Getting fail2ban to work effectively
with dovecot is like
trying to make a bad marriage work out.

So, it would appear that dovecot only logs multiple failed auth's for a
single session in ONE
line of text in a log "failed, X attempts" rather than X lines of
failures logged. This makes
fail2ban useless in this case. Since one can fail to auth 10 times in a
single session and fail2ban
will not pick it up.

Some feedback for the author, please try and improve things in this
area. I really cant see why some
functionality cannot be added as outlined in my original email, to
disconnect the session after X failed
attempts, and have a variable in a config file that allows some fine
tuning of that. It's not a lot of code to add,
you could probably do it in less than 10 lines of C.

Cheers.
A.