[Dovecot] Change mail_location for one user?

Scott Galambos scottg at extremehosting.ca
Sat Sep 14 07:55:06 EEST 2013

On 9/13/2013 2:40 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> "passwd-file" is similiar to "passwd", but I don't know, if you break
> something (outside Dovecot), if you add the last field to /etc/passwd.
>
> Because Dovecot supports multiple userdb's, you could add a passwd-file
> userdb _before_ passwd userdb, copy the line of sarah from /etc/passwd
> into that new file and add the extra fields there. See
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile
>
> userdb {
>      driver = passwd-file
>      args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/imap.passwd
> }
> userdb {
>      driver = passwd
> }

This works.  But I noticed when I do use it to override mail_location
dovecot doesn't report system_groups_user anymore.  Not sure if that
matters....

$: dovecot user sarah
field   value
uid     1403
gid     101
home    /home/sarah
mail    mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/sarah
system_groups_user      sarah

Now I add to imap.passwd:
sarah::1403:101::/home/sarah::userdb_mail=maildir:~/Maildir

$: dovecot user sarah
field   value
uid     1403
gid     101