[Dovecot] Mountpoints with auto mounter

Steffen Kram sk at kram.io
Mon Sep 16 12:59:31 EEST 2013

> i generally do not understand why dovecot insists
> in warning about whatever mountpoints - what is
> the point that dovecot needs to care about anything
> ever mounted on a machine as long it is not referred
> in any configuration

I absolutely agree. In my opinion it is not the problem of dovecot if my mount points exists or not. If the only purpose is to track if a user already existed or if its a new user for whom directories and mailboxes have to be created. Or are there other use cases I just read http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Mountpoints.

As pointed out in http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-January/063419.html there might be problems for dbox mailboxes, if the indexes are stored on a different mount. What's the point in doing that? It would be great if there was a way to just disable the mount point tracking if I don't store indexes on different mounts and don't use the dsync replication feature, even if it's just a compile time option.

Cheers, Steffen