[Dovecot] SSL with startssl.com certificates

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Sep 17 03:28:38 EEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 10:10 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2013, at 10:36 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 15:21 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> >

> >> Hmmm, I tried ssl = yes.  Mail.app still crashes when trying to connect.
> >>

> > Well, its likely an Apple fault, after all their implementation of pop3
> > has been known to be broken for many many many years, but still after
> > all these years are incapable of finding a developer to fix it by
> > inserting a QUIT after its done everything.

Since we just ruled this one out, might I suggest you grab the source
and build it, install it all under /opt/dovecot  that way it wont
interfere with your ports installation and try that, the one you
successfully just tested uses dovecot 2.1 not 2.2, so maybe try source
of 2.1 and see if it works.

But, if it does work on port 143 with TLS I wouldnt worry too much about
it, the only place that seems to prefer it is the NSA's mail server,
oops, I mean  gmail, not many ISP's these days bother with it, it has
been withdrawn for years since  most clients can handle TLS, the better
way to do it,  like they dont bother with smtps either, the *s version
is really only supported for those running antique versions of windows
that dont understand TLS, and yes thats more micro$lops fault, just like
SNI thats been available even  in lynx and other older browsers/
epihany/galeon etc)  since 2005ish. But M$ doesnt give a toss about its
users, a very senior M$ dev on his personal blog a year or so ago wrote
" they need to upgrade to windows 7 or 8"  yup they only see $$$ not
happy users (I posted a comment btw that went along the lines of "or mid
last decade version of linux" ;)