[Dovecot] SSL with startssl.com certificates

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 17 17:50:07 EEST 2013

Am 17.09.2013 16:44, schrieb Dan Langille:
> On 2013-09-17 10:39, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> you are making it hard to impossible to help you if you are mixing servers and
>> their responses and port 993 will *never ever* show STARTTLS because it is
>> IMAPS which enforces a encrypted connection and *not* STARTTLS where the
>> inital connection is unencrpyted by design
>>
>> so *please* stay at *one* config, *one* machine and *one* port for debugging
>>
>> if the machine in question announces STARTTLS on port 143 it should work
>> and that is why i asked if *a different client* than a iPhone is using
>> STARTTLS on *that* machine with *that config*
>
> Oh I misunderstood.  I thought you were suggesting I stop trying to get this to work,
> give in, and *just use another email client*.  My apologies.
>
> I was looking for another iPhone email client which was free and did iMap. I failed. I think I'll
> just have to pay for one and try it.
>
> I've run out of time just now. I'll try again soon

i asked for using *a different device* like Thunderbird or whatever on a PC
to confirm that STARTLS is working in general or not and not a different
application on the same Apple device as we all know that any app
on a iPhone is using *the same* backends as the vendor application

that's why there is no Firefox because the would have to use Safari
and make a nice window around it but not a own rendering engine

with thunderbird you can *explicit* switch between IMAPS on 993 and
STARTTLS on port 143 and so easy verify if the server is working and
only your specific client have a problem