[Dovecot] Dovecot and CAPITALISATION = grrrr ;-(

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Wed Sep 18 11:02:12 EEST 2013

On 09/18/2013 09:43 AM, Ben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As far as I'm aware, email is case insensitive ?
>
> Dovecot however, seems to be taking offence at the fact that someone is
> sending mail to user at SOMEDOMAIN.XYZ.
>
> Postfix has no issues handling it, it when it gets passed over to
> Dovecot LMTP that I get log lines such as :
>
> Sep 17 13:48:22 ukc-vm02-mx01 dovecot: auth:
> passwd-file(user at SOMEDOMAIN.XYZ): unknown user

This is an IMAP username that seems to be formatted similar to an e-mail
address because your setup is built like that.
Usernames (IMAP or otherwise) and passwords are not part of any email
spec, but checking them case-sensitive sounds like a good idea in general.

You should make sure that the username string used by dovecot-auth is
formatted according to what your setup dictates (i.e. probably all
lowercase). Probably you need something along the lines of:

userdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = username_format=%Lu /path/to/file
}

See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile and
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Variables

Regards,