[Dovecot] proxy: get rid of redundant log-informations

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Sep 22 01:18:46 EEST 2013

Am 22.09.2013 00:07, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 21.09.2013 23:37, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>> On 14.8.2013, at 17.37, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> login_log_format_elements = user=<%u> method=%m rip=%r %k
>>>
>>> is it possible to get rid of the "proxy(test at testserver.rhsoft.net): started proxying to 127.0.0.1:143: " part
>>> because on a proxy-only server i know that and it is explicitly not listed in "login_log_format_elements"
>>
>> Different people want different things logged. I think if I started adding settings to control those from Dovecot configuration it would quickly become a horribly complex mess
>
> not really, take a look again at both
>
> login_log_format_elements      = user=<%u> %r %m %c
> login_log_format               = %$: %s
>
> if fact i would only need "login_log_format = %s" but in case of failed logins
> and dictionary attacks with unknown users "%u" is empty - if %u would *always*
> contain the used loginname, wether if it was successful or not i would have
> any needed information without the duplication

errta - the problem maybe was in cased of failed logins you see no
difference without %$ comapred to a succesfull login

login_log_format_elements      = status=%status <%u> %r %m %c
login_log_format               = %s

would perfectly solve this while %status or whatever placeholder would be failed / success