[Dovecot] imaptest-20130617 seems to be reporting spurious header changes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 25 03:58:46 EEST 2013

On 25.9.2013, at 2.06, Mark Weaver <mark-clist at npsl.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying to use this to test an IMAP server I'm developing (I picked the nightly up from the link on the wiki page at http://www.imapwiki.org/ImapTest/Installation).  With one client using the mailbox dovecot-crlf (http://www.dovecot.org/tmp/dovecot-crlf) I get messages like:
>
> Error: test at npsl.co.uk[67]: 1035253882.5041.34.camel at hurina: Header From changed 'Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
> From: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>

Hmm. Interesting question. The issue here is that imaptest requests the From field twice, and you return it twice. Normally clients wouldn't do that, but I think the imaptest is correct here and I think most existing server implementations handle it like imaptest expects. From RFC 3501:

HEADER.FIELDS and HEADER.FIELDS.NOT are followed by a list of
field-name (as defined in [RFC-2822]) names, and return a
subset of the header.

Duplicating a From field is no longer a subset of the original header.