[Dovecot] Passing info from mail process to mail_filter plugin script?

Charles Cazabon charlesc-dovecot at pyropus.ca
Thu Sep 26 04:27:23 EEST 2013

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 25.9.2013, at 3.06, Charles Cazabon <charlesc-dovecot at pyropus.ca> wrote:
> >
> > I hacked an additional %variable (I used %q) into a copy of
> > mail-user.c:mail_user_var_expand_table ()
[...]
> Better to not give a one character name, but only the long name so it won't
> conflict with any future Dovecot additions.

That was my plan.  I added the single character key when I was trying to debug
why it wasn't working.

> > The %q does not appear to be getting replaced; it's just skipped over.
> > It's not even passing an empty string in its place.
[...]
> It looks like this should be correct. The plugin settings expansion i done
> by mail-user.c:mail_user_expand_plugins_envs().

Aha, thanks.  My code to set this information was still not being called quite
early enough, so the table didn't contain a value for my variable when
mail_user_expand_plugins_envs() was called.

I've rejigged it some more, and now it is indeed working.  Thanks very much
for your help with this.

> The other possibility would be that you just modify mail-filter plugin and
> add the extra parameter without any %variable changes. Probably better since
> then you don't need to patch Dovecot core itself.

Ah, perhaps that wasn't clear - this isn't a constant or anything like that.
The extra argument getting passed to mail_filter is taken from data the client
sends to the IMAP server -- so I needed to be able to pull it out of the IMAP
session and pass it to the mail_filter script.

Charles