[Dovecot] Lot of connections IMAP

Arnaud Abélard arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr
Thu Sep 26 12:33:27 EEST 2013

On 09/26/2013 09:47 AM, voytek at sbt.net.au wrote:
> On Thu, September 26, 2013 5:41 pm, Davide wrote:
>> Hi to all, i have dovecot 2.2.5 when i digit doveadm who i see a lot of
>> connections IMAP for single user liker the example below
>>
>> xxxxx.yyyyyy at mail.cgilfe.it 9 imap (20572 20614 19120 20653 19136 20655
>> 19138 20661 20471) (192.168.x.xxx)
>>

>> Why so many IMAP?
>
> I think(?), it's that IMAP mail clients keep connections to each IMAP
> folder they access...

Exactly and even 9 imap processes for one user isn't that bad. If most
of our users use around 5 processess it's not exceptionnel to have have
20 processes for one user. We have users who check their mail on their
smartphones and on their desktop, some of those have around 80 imap
process just for them...

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard (jabber: arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr)
Administrateur Système - Responsable Services Web
ne pas utiliser: trapemail at univ-nantes.fr