[Dovecot] New install not working.

Rhorer, Leslie Leslie.Rhorer at twtelecom.com
Sat Sep 28 07:31:40 EEST 2013

        Hello.

        I need some help.  I was running uw-imap on my IMAP server (so I am using mbox email files), but I was having trouble with Outlook 2013, so I decided to move to dovecot.  At first things were looking much better, except that most of my folders, other than the Inbox, were not showing up.  I started changing both the dovecot configuration and the folder structure of my mail files, but now I can't even get the Inbox to populate.  Outlooks says it is there, along with any folders I create new in Outlook, plus the Trash folder, which is the only non-local folder with anything in it.  Try what I might, I can't get my Inbox to populate or any of the existing folders to show up at all.  Here is the current output from dovecot -n:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.1 xfs
mail_location = mbox:/RAID/home/%u/mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap pop3"
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

I have the mail files on a RAID array (separate from the boot arrays) at /RAID/home/<User>/mail.  Here is a snapshot of one of t he directories:

drwx------ 2 lrhorer lrhorer        59 Sep 26 21:32 Amazon
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    118889 Jul 23 09:57 CPS Energy
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer     58343 Dec 26  2011 Craigs List
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    105676 Aug 24  2011 DAR Support
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    351546 Sep 20 11:21 Drafts
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   5767297 Jun 24  2012 eBay
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer  50503746 Nov 27  2012 Family
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    109653 Apr 14  2012 Helipal
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer 144094265 Sep 27 22:50 inbox
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer       549 Jun 16 11:05 Junk E-mail
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer       499 Jul 27 09:09 Junk E-mail1
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer       499 Aug 18 13:27 Junk E-mail2
-rw-r--r-- 1 lrhorer lrhorer         0 Sep 27 22:41 Junk E-mail3
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer 144094265 Sep 26 21:30 lrhorer
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    178218 Jan 11  2013 Mdadm
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   1022804 Dec 21  2011 NewEgg
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   6102422 Sep 17  2012 NUT
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   1588992 May 28  2010 RAID Halting
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    139695 Dec 13  2009 Rebuild an Array
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   3657762 Jul 26 10:24 Save
-rw------- 1 root    root      3657762 Sep 27 22:48 Save.sav
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer  44458963 Jun 21  2011 Sent Items
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer     10349 Jan  3  2010 SMART
-rw-rw-rw- 1 lrhorer lrhorer       238 Sep 27 22:46 subscriptions
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer   2732568 Jun  5  2011 tempAmazon
-rw-r--r-- 1 lrhorer lrhorer         0 Sep 27 22:11 testing
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer  19152044 Sep 27 22:42 Trash
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer       536 Sep  5 01:14 Unsent
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer     58550 Apr  8  2012 Wine
-rw------- 1 lrhorer lrhorer    105015 Apr  2  2012 Xheli

        Since the home directories are on a subdirectory of a separate array, I have the following:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   10 Sep 27 21:22 /home -> /RAID/home

/var/mail:
total 140724
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root mail        30 Sep 27 21:31 ljrhorer -> /RAID/home/ljrhorer/mail/inbox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root mail        29 Sep 27 21:31 lrhorer -> /RAID/home/lrhorer/mail/inbox

The content contained in this electronic message is not intended to constitute formation of a contract binding tw telecom. tw telecom will be contractually bound only upon execution, by an authorized officer, of a contract including agreed terms and conditions or by express application of its tariffs. This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender of this E-Mail or by telephone.