[Dovecot] Using MailDir but local messages still save in mbox format

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Sat Sep 28 17:26:03 EEST 2013

Le 27 sept. 2013 à 09:35, Mike Edwards a écrit :

> I think I just fixed the problem but I am not sure if I did it the right way..    It seems that it is postfix that did it, not dovecot.   I found this in the log for every local message...
>
> Sep 26 11:10:10 zeus postfix/local[14565]: 9B0294AA15E: to=<vmail at my.domain.com>, orig_to=<vmail>, relay=local, delay=9, delays=9/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)
>
> So, I went to the postfix master.cf and commented out this line...
>
> #local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
>
> Was that the correct way to do it?

Hello Mike,

You probably have cured the symptoms... ;-)

Your cron command has very likely been built for making use of the sendmail command.
When facing a "naked" recipient address such as "vmail", Postfix' sendmail will look for an alias, then for a system user bearing that name.
There's probably no alias for "vmail", but you clearly have a system user named "vmail"; so, sendmail will proceed with a local delivery for user "vmail".

So, you could for example define an alias:

	vmail: yourself at your.virtual.domain

since you're potentially more interested than user vmail in the messages emitted by the cron job.

Or add such a line to your crontab:

	MAIL=yourself at your.virtual.domain

so as to override the default recipient, ie the user the job runs as.

HTH,
Axel