[Dovecot] Dovecot not honoring configuration settings (auth failure)

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:56:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 4/1/2014 6:34 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Charles Marcus
>> <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:

>>> What you are missing is that there is a very good reason that ONLY the
>>> output of doveconf -n is wanted here...
>>>
>>> It proves that you are using the settings you think you are using.
>>>
>> # doveconf -n
>> # 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> # OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae i686 Debian 7.4
>> disable_plaintext_auth = no
>

> So... where is auth_mechanisms? You said you had it set to
# doveconf -n | head -1
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# cat /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf | grep -i auth_
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
#auth_proxy_self =

Obviously, I don't know how. That's the file that conf dovecot claims
it is using. It you know how to find out the conf file dovecot is
*really* using, then please let me know.

Jeff