[Dovecot] dsync replication questions

Teemu Huovila teemu.huovila at dovecot.fi
Fri Apr 4 12:34:35 UTC 2014

On 04/04/2014 12:42 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> Anyone please?
>
> How can we determine whether we need to configure "replication_dsync_parameters = -d -N -l 30 -U" as indicated on the wiki2 (or
> some variation thereof) or not?

I am definitely not Timo, but I will try a short answer based on my limited familiarity with the dsync replication functionality
and code.

-d Use a default location for the replica. As far as I can tell this is obtained from userdb variable mail_replica.
-N Sync all (visible?) namespaces (only makes sense when syncing with a remote host, with potentially different namespaces)
  (instead of either -n <namespace to sync> or -x <namespaces not to sync>)
-l <seconds> Use a dsync lock file when syncing and the timeout for locking.
-U Update replicator server on the status of the replication

For replicating in a multiple server configuration, they sound like a good idea to me.

Hope this helps a little,
Teemu Huovila